Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Can I be Cinderella?

Disney's Cinderella

Again and again I am struck by how some of the least fortunate children in Armenia live. Walking into the grey and cold dormitory, I feel a bit ashamed that I have complained about the temperature in my apartment. Even though we have two ovens in the Smiley Club room it is still cold. But the children come anyway.
Who said that Cinderella is for girls?

At the last meeting some of the volunteers came up with the idea to make a theatre performance of Cinderella. Today we are at the dormitory to ask them if they want to participate. Can you imagine their answer?

With us we have a surprise; the Cinderella DVD. Equipped with a laptop from the Norwegian Red Cross and speakers from the office we show the movie. Occasionally a mother or father knocks on the door and asks their child to come for dinner. The lucky ones who get to see the whole movie sit in the cold room with a look in their eyes that asks; can I be Cinderella?

Can I borrow your hat Kaja?

I hope it's not my mum in the door asking me to come home for dinner...

No comments: