Sunday, June 10, 2007

NGO presentation

It’s a warm Saturday afternoon, and around 20 youths are gathered in the locations of the World Independent Youth Union (WIYU). I was invited there to hold a presentation about the Red Cross, Norway and to share my experiences from Armenia. The setting was informal and the questions many.
Can you understand what's written on my shirt?

It is always nice to meet other youths doing volunteer work. From the moment I walked in to the room I got a good feeling about the group. We stared out with an ice-breaker; witch gave a laughing start to the presentation. Then I gave a brief introduction about the Red Cross/Red Crescent, and Armenian Red Cross Society’s work. Although the youths were interested in The Red Cross, it was easy to tell that my presentation about Norway raised the most thoughts and questions. What does Norway do when it comes to protecting the environment? How can I study in Norway? Why are you not a part of the European Union?

After sweating a bit in the warm room trying to give sensible answers to all the questions I was asked, I showed some pictures from my work. Then it was my turn to see the fruits of their work. One of the guys proudly presented pictures drawn by children with handicaps, from his group.

Reading the RC newsletter and looking at pictures from Norway.

After my short meeting with this NGO I am happy to see that there are so many engaged young people in Armenia, and I hope that WIYU and the Armenian Red Cross can cooperate together in the future.

No comments: